National Young People with Disability Summit
CYDA convened our first National Young People with Disability Summit September 29 - October 3 2020
What is the National Summit?
The National Summit is an opportunity for young people with disability from around the country to come together for a five day event focusing on the issues that matter to you. From the beginning, the Summit is designed and planned with young people with disability – our Co-design Committee. There will be chances to talk about important issues in the lives of young people with disability, and to share your experiences with policy-makers and other stakeholders.
Why do we run a National Summit?
We hope through holding our National Summit that young people with disability:
- feel included and supported to have their say about the issues that are important to them
- learn and share skills and develop their experience in becoming self-advocates and leaders
- have an opportunity to inform policy-makers and governments about what needs to change for young people with disability.
For CYDA as an organisation, the Summit is also important. We would like to:
- learn directly from young people about their experiences and the policy and advocacy issues that are important to them
- amplify the voices of young people with disability so that policy-makers can hear directly from young people too
- build connections with and between young people with disability around the country.
How do we work with young people with disability to design the Summit?
For the first ever summit in 2020, a group of 20 young people with disability, aged 15 to 25, from around Australia joined our National Summit Co-design Committee.
We met monthly to plan the Summit, including the topics we should cover, how the event will run, and how to make it as accessible and inclusive as possible.
2020 Summit Report
The National Youth Disability Summit made history!
Each day’s sessions included plenary lightning talks, interactive workshops, panels, networking opportunities and an expo area. The themes of Education, Employment, Awareness, Access & Inclusion, NDIS & Housing and Mental Health & Wellbeing allowed participants to explore and discuss important topics and issues in their lives.
It is really important for these conversations and connections to continue beyond the Summit and we are so excited to announce our new Community Connectors program, funded by Equity Trustees which will financially and organisationally support young people with disability in each state and territory through funded, place-based programming and events. Stay tuned for more details!
We would like to thank the incredible Summit Co-Design Committee, all participants and guests for attending and all speakers, panellists and facilitators who presented throughout the week!
The Youth Action Team
Register your interest
Go to www.cydayouth.events
Where can I find more information?
You can also contact us directly to find out more!